Thursday, January 10, 2013

Nineth Day in the Classroom

Today was a fun day in Mrs. Almond's class.  I got there at 1:30 and Mrs. Almond told me that she was going to teach me how to test the students reading levels and then I would teach science class for her while she finished testing students reading levels, i was really nervous, but excited.  It was interesting to see how reading level testing is done.  After that I stayed with the students while they had an indoor recess because it is very windy and cold weather outside today.  At 2:15 I had the students clean up and then I taught the students about weather.  We had a group reading paper about weather that we all read together.  We read and talked about meteorologists and how they study the weather.  We learned about the different types of clouds and we discussed how tornadoes are formed.  The students had fun talking about the tornado that Salt Lake had in August 1999.  Mrs. Almond came back into the classroom at 2:30 and I headed over to Mrs. Greenfield's class.

When I got to Mrs. Greenfield's class, they were learning about maps and compasses.  Mrs. G. put a compass on each students desk so they could see that the arrow always points north.  She put an N on the North wall and then an S on the south wall.  An E on the east wall, and a W on the west wall.  The students were able to understand which direction north, south, east, and west were in the classroom.  They located the compass rose on the maps and learned that north is always pointing up on a map.  After learning about compasses and maps, Mrs. G. had me pass out the scholastic readers and the students read about ice caves and snow leopards.  After scholastic reading, they sat on the rug and Mrs. G. read The Magic Finger by Ronald Dahl.  At 3:30, the students were excused to go home.

I love helping in the classrooms and learning different skills and tools that will help me as a teacher someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment