Thursday, November 15, 2012

fourth day in the classroom

Today I went to Mrs. Almond,s 4th grade class at 1:30.  She asked me to grade the students math test that they had just taken.  That was an interesting experience.  I guess I never realized how complicated it could be to grade a stack of 4th grade math tests.  I kept accidentally marking correct answers wrong, and it was hard to understand what some students had written.  I kept having to ask Mrs. Almond what they wrote, or how she wanted me to add up the grades.  Anyway, I finally got it all figured out and graded.  Then I went outside to recess with the students for the last 10 minutes.

At 2:30 I headed over to Mrs. Greenfields 2nd grade class.  Mrs. Greenfield was being observed by another teacher.  Mrs. G. gave each student a white board and a dry erase marker and an eraser for a phonics lesson.  I loved how she gave the students 2 minutes to draw and play on the boards before it became a "tool"  she taught the class the phonics rules for "ss" "ff" and "zz" at the end of words.  The students had fun practicing writing the words on their dry erase boards.  It's always fun watching Mrs. G. teach a lesson, she is so good at having all the kids follow procedures and enforcing them.  And the kids love her.  She does a little dance and all the students laugh, and then she pulls them back in.  After phonics, they got ready to go home.  Handed out take home folders and homework, got backpacks and sat at the rug.  She ended the day by reading The Witches by Ronald Dahl.  About 5 students in the class also have the book that they have brought from home and they read along and then show the other students the pictures out of their books.

After 2 hours of being in the classrooms, I come home excited for the day that I can have my own classroom and exhausted.  Who know how exhausting it could be to be in classroom of 25ish students.  Teachers are amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment